We all love steaming hot, melt in your mouth, cheesy pizza, don’t we?
While it’s definitely okay to indulge in the real deal every once in a while, all that dough and cheese (never mind the toppings) may not be the best idea for a daily meal.
But no one said we have to give up that delicious taste we love. Here is my favorite healthy pizza recipe so I can eat pizza any day I want! This is a healthy alternative to the high calorie, greasy delivery or pizzeria variety. Believe it or not, you may even like this one better!
These are customizable, so feel free to use any of your favorite veggies!
- 1 small whole wheat pita (6 inch diameter)
- 1 tsp olive oil
- 1/2 cup sliced mushrooms
- 1/2 small onion, chopped
- 1/4 cup chopped red or green bell pepper
- 1/2 bag (3 oz) baby spinach
- 1/4 tsp dried basil
- salt, to taste
- ground black pepper, to taste
- 1/4 cup fresh salsa
- 2 tbsp reduced-fat feta cheese
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
- Place the unopened pita on a baking sheet.
- In a large nonstick skillet over medium heat, warm the oil.
- Add mushrooms, onion, and bell pepper, and cook, stirring often for about 8 minutes, or until tender.
- Add the spinach in batches, stirring until wilted. Season with the basil, salt, and pepper to taste.
- Spread the pita with the salsa and top with the veggies.
- Sprinkle evenly with the feta.
- Bake for about 8 minutes, or until the cheese has warmed and is lightly browned.
- Dig in!
*This recipe was adapted from Women’s Health Mag.
Be sure to check out more of my yummy recipes here!
Let me know what you think of this one, and post your favorite pizza recipes in the comments below!