Homemade Applesauce with Blueberries
This recipe takes a little bit of time and work to make, but healthy homemade applesauce is just too delicious to pass up! It is also great if you have small children to be able to feed them applesauce that you know is healthy and made with real ingredients.
- Blueberries (~1-2 tablespoons)
- 3 lbs apples
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 pinch nutmeg
- 1 1/2 cups water
- 2 thin lemon slices
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- Start by washing and peeling the apples. You can choose to leave some of the skin on for taste and texture.
- Remove the cores and cut into cubes.
- Add all of the ingredients, including the apples, to a pot and bring to a boil.
- Cover and reduce the heat to low to let the mix simmer until the apples soften, likely about 20 minutes.
- Stir this mixture frequently so that the apples don’t stick to the bottom of the pot.
- After simmering, remove the lemon slices. If it looks like it needs more water, add in a little bit more.
- Turn off the heat and mash in the pot with a potato masher until it is the right consistency.
- This recipe makes 8 servings, so place a small portion of it in a small bowl or cup and top it with blueberries, as many as desired.