This week our friends at Skinnymom.com shared with us this fun and ‘fit’ alternative to a sweet potato casserole, since the contents will be served back in the potato skin. Instead of a calorie and fat-laden casserole recipe, we scooped out the centers of our sweet potatoes, added some non-fat Greek yogurt, cinnamon, brown sugar and nutmeg, mixed it all together and came up with these sweet and delicious sweet potatoes. The yogurt adds a slight tang that controls the sweetness of the brown sugar and potato.
Recipe: Twice Baked Sweet Potatoes
Prep time: 10 minutes | Cook time: 1 hour + 10 minutes
Makes: 8 servings | Serving size: 1 filled potato half
- 4 medium sweet potatoes
- ½ tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- ½ cup plain, nonfat Greek yogurt
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- ½ teaspoon nutmeg
- 2 tablespoons pecans, chopped
- 64 mini marshmallows
- Preheat the oven to 375° F.
- Wash the potatoes and dry them on a paper towel, then poke several holes in them with a fork, and brush the oil on the outsides of them.
- Wrap each potato in foil, and place on a baking sheet in the oven for 40-60 minutes, or until fork-tender. Decrease the oven temperature to 350° F.
- When the potatoes are cool enough to touch, cut them in half lengthwise, and scoop out the centers in a large mixing bowl.
- Add the yogurt, brown sugar, cinnamon and nutmeg to the mixing bowl with the scooped out potato centers. Mix in stand mixer, or handheld mixer until smooth.
- Evenly spoon the mixture back into the potato skins, and top with the pecans and 8 marshmallows per potato.
- Bake for 10 minutes, or until the marshmallows are toasted and melting.
Love it? Share it! Post a comment 🙂