What separates those who constantly succeed in life from the rest of the population?
Is it merely luck, or are there certain other elements to the equation that plays a role in determining how successful we are in work, love, friendship or fitness? We all know that one person who seems to cruise through life without a single ounce of effort or resistance, and while it may be awfully tempting to write them off as ‘lucky bastards’, take an honest moment and look at what they are actually doing right.
I’m not talking about the people who were born into a world without any responsibilities or with unlimited trust funds. Instead, I want you to look at the person who continuously and confidently declares their goals to the world and then gets it – every time.
1. They dare to dream – the first step to creating the life you want is visualizing it. If you don’t even dare to imagine things without limits, how do you expect to overcome the barriers life will inevitably present you with along the way? “Aim for the stars and you will land on the moon; aim for the sky and you will land in the treetops; aim for the treetops and you’ll end up on a branch… aim for a branch and you’ll end up on the ground.”
“Without leaps of imagination, or dreaming, we lose the excitement of possibilities. Dreaming, after all, is a form of planning.” Gloria Steinem
2. They talk about it – have you noticed that ‘go-getters’ seem to always talk about the things they’re going after before the fact? Does it baffle you? They talk about their dreams with conviction because they are not scared to fail and they are not afraid of what people think; but most of all, they are convinced they will win. If you don’t believe in your dreams enough to tell others, how will you ever get there? Who will believe in you, and push you to the finish line… if you don’t?
“Stand up for what you believe in even if it means standing alone…” -C.M.
3. They plan it – the old saying “failing to plan is planning to fail” stands ever so true in nearly every aspect of life. Besides raw manipulation, there is a reason why psychopaths succeed with their selfish schemes – they plan them, down to the smallest detail. Not just that, but they act according the steps they had imagined ahead of time. Have you ever wondered why bad people often and unfairly seem to get all the good stuff in life? Is it because they have leftover karma to collect? No, it’s because they decide what they want and then find a way to get it… no matter what.
“A goal without a plan is just a wish.”
― Antoine de Saint-Exupéry
The difference between good and bad people is that good people will do this without hurting their fellow human beings, while bad people develop evil schemes that most likely involves stepping over dead bodies to achieve what only benefits themselves, and sometimes deliberately causes harm to others.
4. They follow through – no matter how much you dream about, talk about, and plan your goals; you won’t stand a chance of succeeding unless you make a committed decision to follow through all the way.
A committed decision means that you will stick to the plan even if things get hard, and no matter what people around you say. Give it your all until you reach your goal – remember, just like with training it’s that last rep that really makes a difference, especially the one you said you’d never be able to do.
“I can give you a six-word formula for success: Think things through – then follow through.”– Eddie Rickenbacker
5. They know when to stop – this may seem contradictory to being committed, but the truth is that there are occasions where holding on to things for dear life will do nothing but keep you stuck in the trenches.
Successful people give their goal everything they’ve got and climb mountains of hurdles, but they also recognize when it’s time to let something go and move on to a more feasible dream. Sometimes all you need is a bit of an adjustment in the strategy or goal, but there are times when you have to admit to yourself and others that you’ve failed – and that’s ok. If you are afraid to fail, you won’t be able to see when you are on a stubborn march to a negative or even catastrophic result. Remember: letting go at the right time and admitting defeat is not the same as giving up!