It’s officially the holiday season, my absolute favorite time of year. The music, the lights, the cozy sweaters, the fire, the smells, the family time, and, of course, the food. I may be a “fitness guru” but that does not mean I don’t love me some cookies, pies, and the classic cold weather treat, hot chocolate.
Literally nothing can compare to the perfect feeling of coming in from a frigid winter’s day and getting a nice big mug of hot cocoa to warm not only your hands, but your spirits, too. We all have memories of ending a day of sledding with a cup of cocoa, or walking around the city with a Starbucks in hand. Cuddled up in front of the fireplace, surrounded by family and friends as holiday music plays in the background is what I would define as pure bliss. Wouldn’t you agree?
Unfortunately, delicious holiday treats often come with a hefty caloric price tag, and are a tad too generous to your waistline, if you catch my drift.
No one wants to ruin all their hard work by gaining tons of weight, but that also doesn’t mean that we can’t indulge this holiday season!
Here is a lightened up version of a favorite chocolatey delight! It’s not only guilt-free, but it’s also super yummy – you would never know it was “healthified”!
Healthy ‘n’ Light Holiday Hot Cocoa
- 1 cup vanilla almond milk (I use sweetened Almond Breeze – it’s much creamier than sugar-free!)
- 2 tbsp cocoa powder
- 1/16 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp pure vanilla extract
- sweetener, such as 1 Truvia packet or 1 tablespoon sugar or agave
- optional – 1 candy cane (as a garnish, and to snack on!)
- optional – 1 (small) dollop of light cool whip
- Combine all ingredients and stir.
- Microwave 30 seconds, stir, microwave 30 more seconds, stir, etc. until hot.
- ENJOY by a fire or in front of the tree with your friends and family!
How was it? Any suggestions or variations we should try?
Let me know in the comments below and be sure to check out my other recipes on FitStrongandSexy.com! Happy Holidays 🙂